How To Select A Rivet Setter
For Leather Crafting Rivets
By Bob Sherman
Although rivets for leather working vary in materials, most fall into one of two categories.
- Single Cap (Rapid Rivets) - single cap rivets only have a decorative cap on one end and are flat on the other end. The cap side is slightly rounded or domed.
- Double Cap - double cap rivets are rounded on both ends which gives them a nice appearance from either side.
There are several ways to set rivets and some are better than others. Some are well suited to double cap rivets and some are not.
For best results, the cap end of rivets should always be set with a concave surface. Because of this, double cap rivets are best set with a concave anvil and a concave tool - one on each side.
Single cap rivets require just one concave surface. Typically this is easiest with a concave setting tool and a flat anvil, but a concave anvil with a flat setting tool will also work - it is just more awkward to work with.
- Deluxe Snap All Set - sets snaps as well as double or single cap rivets.
- Rivet Setting Tool - use with flat anvil or other hard surface to set single cap rivets. Use with a concave anvil to set double cap rivets.
- Rivet Setting Anvil - has both flat and concave sides for use on single and double cap rivets.
- Snap All Set - will set single cap rivets, but this has to be done upside down which is awkward. Adding a rivet setting tool to this set will enable setting double or single cap rivets with ease.
Disclaimer: The information presented here is accurate to the best of my knowledge and common leather working practices as of the time of this writing. This article was originally published to the internet in March 2010 and has been modified and republished in April 2012. The author and the publisher accept no liability for the use or misuse of any of the information presented in this article. This article is presented for informational purposes and is used at your own risk.
Author: Bob Sherman
Publisher: Bobby's Craft Boutique Inc.
This article is provided free of charge for use.
Web sites may use links to this page without restriction.
No portion of this article may be reproduced for publication elsewhere without express permission from Bobby's Craft Boutique Inc. with the following exceptions:
- Non profit organizations such as religious groups, scouts, 4h, etc... may use this information without permission for printed materials provided it is used without modification and credit is given to both the author and onestopcandle.com
- Reprinting to the web is prohibited without permission, however web sites wishing to link to this article may do so without permission.